March 1, 2010

touched by an angel

"are you an angel from the lord?"

today i had an experience that i have never had before in my life. as i was paying my weekly respects to beloved walmart, a woman was ahead of me in line with 2 full carts. she seemed a little frazzled and overwhelmed and like she was having one of those days. i noticed her for a second but then got distracted by something else as i so often do in that huge world of potatoes and shampoo. i managed to escape the conveyor belt of wallet destruction with only 2 bags and was just going about my merry way through the exit when i saw that the woman hadn't even made it to the door. i flipped around, went up to her, and asked her if i could take one of the carts to her car while she took the other one. it was not a big deal, after all i only had 2 bags and would feel completely lazy if i did not help her in some way. but then our eyes met, and she looked me up and down and asked, "are you an angel from the lord?" i said no, that i definitely wasn't, but that i just was really good friends with his son. we talked the whole way to her car, and when we got there she gave me a huge hug and kissed me on the forehead. as i walked away, i heard her talking to herself about angels, and i got in my car and drove away. today i learned that i want someone to confuse me with an angel every day for the rest of my life. i want to be outrageously kind and sweet so that everyone i come in contact with thinks that they have been touched by an angel.

"do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." hebrews 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment