April 12, 2010

enough

i'm still waiting for that birthday...to reach that age where i am old enough to be getting my ears pierced. that birthday when i'm finally old enough and ready enough to be dating. to be graduating college. to be getting married. to be getting a job. to be going to africa. to be having babies. to be old enough to *fill in the blank*. when i was a little girl, i thought that all the adults around me reached a magical birthday when all the fears of life evaporated and they were suddenly prepared to take on the world. now that i'm grown, i realize...i'm still that little girl, and that the birthday i've waited for my whole life isn't going to come. i realize i will never feel ready to be an adult. to handle taxes. to tackle stretch marks. to explain to my husband how much i love him. to carry three children while pushing a grocery cart. to perfectly describe to my kids who GOD is. to understand why in the world CHRIST lavished his love on me. to understand the concept of eternity. but the beauty of it all is that i don't have to understand it or to feel old enough or to be ready enough. if we had no weaknesses and failures, we would have no need for GOD. if we ever reached that birthday of perfection, we would never know suffering or fully understand grace. but GOD in his infinite brilliance provided a way to be all we need when we aren't old enough, smart enough, or good enough.

"but he said to me, 'my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' therefore i will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that CHRIST'S power may rest on me. that is why, for CHRIST'S sake, i delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. for when i am weak, then i am strong." 2 corinthians 12:9-10

2 comments:

  1. Hey, your writing rocks, yo.

    This is so applicable to like everything going on in my life always. And your conclusion is correct, I believe.

    Have you ever heard of the idea of "the fortunate fall?" And what are your thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, well, thank you very much! i'm so glad that you could get something out of it!

    and no, i haven't. tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete