May 23, 2011

where YOU lead: the least of these

today i worked in the haven with sick infants and toddlers for the first time. children in this haven have various diseases ranging from failure to thrive to HIV. i was initially nervous working with people with these diseases as i have never done that before, but today my heart was stolen and my fears were completely erased.

as I worked, matthew 25:35-40 came into my mind: “for i was hungry and you gave me food, i was thirsty and you gave me drink, i was a stranger and you welcomed me, i was naked and you clothed me, i was sick and you visited me, i was in prison and you came to me’… the KING will answer them, 'truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to ME.' and at the end of a long day’s work these are the words on my heart…

the least of these

today i met the least of these
as i sang to 2 twins with no mommy,
and as they sat and cried
as i said goodbye,
i knew that things would never be
the same for me.

today i met the least of these
as i held a baby girl who had TB,
and as i saw the rise in her chest
as she gasped for every breath,
i knew that things would never be
the same for me.

today i met the least of these
as i played with a little boy with HIV,
and with every beat of his heart
i felt my own break apart,
and i knew that things would never be
the same for me.

today i met the least of these
and it made me fall straight to my knees.
the pieces of my heart rearranged
and i will be forever changed,
and i know that things will never be
the same for me.

3 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes! You are a blessing to those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charissa you are so talented I know you are making a huge impact on these little babies lives. I know you are having so much and I can't wait to read more about the little babies!!

    ReplyDelete