November 28, 2013

30 days of thanks

1) i am thankful for JESUS CHRIST. i am grateful that GOD chose to create the world and that HE chose to create me. i am thankful that i am fearfully and wonderfully made in the likeness of CHRIST. i am grateful that when i decided to sin and fall short of the glory of GOD, HE decided to rescue me. and i am so thankful that if i continue to walk in the light as HE is in the light, i continue to be cleansed from all my sin.

2) i am thankful for heaven and the hope of salvation. i came to a full realization and understanding of heaven when i was 9 years old, and i was scared out of my mind. i was afraid to leave this world and petrified by the idea of existing forever with no end. i loved my life and could not fathom exchanging this earthly life for a heavenly one. now that i am older, i am so grateful that this world is not my home and that one day the suffering of this life is going to end. i cannot wait to spend eternity with the ONE who died for me and decided to give me second life.

3) i am thankful for the grace of GOD. my favorite definition of grace is receiving something which we don't deserve. i am grateful for all of the things that GOD has given me that i could have never earned or deserved on my own.

4) i am thankful for the mercy of GOD. my favorite definition of mercy is not receiving something which we do deserve. i am so grateful for the punishment, pain, and destruction that GOD is sparing me by showing me HIS mercy.

5) i am thankful for GOD'S amazing creation which naturally demonstrates HIS existence. i am grateful for getting to visit extraordinary places that reaffirm my faith and belief in a CREATOR. i am grateful for those goosebump moments of witnessing something so unbelievable that only GOD could have created.

6) i am thankful for my daddy. i cannot believe that GOD let me be born to the best man that i have ever known. i am so grateful to be his little princess and to now be his good friend. i am in awe of his courage and boldness to deliver the most amazing sermons that i have ever heard anyone offer, but i am even more impressed by his ability to let his life speak more than his words. i am envious of his ability to infect the world with JESUS...including every postman, cashier, and craigslist buyer with whom he interacts. i am grateful that he instilled the same love and passion for JESUS in my heart from the very beginning of my life. i am grateful that he taught me how to mow the grass, fix a computer, and build furniture, and i am grateful that he continues to teach me how to live and how to love more abundantly. my only complaint is that he's made it ever-so-hard to find anyone who even barely compares to his awesomeness.

7) i am thankful for my mommy. i cannot believe that GOD let me be born to the sweetest woman that i have ever known. i am so grateful to be her baby girl and to now be her good friend. i am in awe of her ability to say something kind and find the best in everyone, but i am even more impressed by her ability to lead a quiet life and to not draw attention or praise to herself. i am envious of her ability to do things in secret and not let her left hand know what her right hand is doing and to touch people who don't even realize that they're being touched. i am grateful that she instilled the same love and passion for people in my heart from the very beginning of my life. i am grateful that she taught me how to cook anything, clean the house, and be a godly woman. i am grateful that she continues to teach me how to live and how to love more abundantly. my only complaint is that she's made it ever-so-hard to be negative and unhappy about anything.

8) i am thankful for my brother. i am amazed that GOD provided me with my very best friend at the very moment that i entered this world. i am thankful for the many wrestling matches that ensued on the couch, the many forts that we built, the many games that we played, and the many laughs that we have had. i am grateful for someone who knows me better than anyone else, accepts me as i am, allows me to confide in him, and encourages me in all of my hopes and dreams. there has never been a truer or better friend.

9) i am thankful for my grandparents. i'm especially thankful for the legacy and heritage that they created for me. i am thankful for their history with CHRIST and the deep roots that they cultivated in living godly lives. i am especially thankful for my grandmother and for her truly giving me the world. she has given me my passion for travel, my strong will and drive, my love for life, and the courage to always keep going and to always remain faithful no matter what life brings.

10) i am thankful for my extended family. i am so grateful that my parents and aunts and uncles decided to raise my cousins and me more like siblings than as relatives. i am grateful for the examples of my aunts and uncles and their passion for GOD and for life. i am thankful for my cousins and the incredible memories that we have made all over the world. i am thankful that i will always have a group of people to trust, rely on, and laugh with as i travel through this life.

11) i am thankful for my raising. i'm so grateful that i was introduced to GOD from the beginning of my life and that i was raised to both love HIM and to fear HIM. i am grateful that i was raised with core values and morals that were deeply instilled in my heart by my parents. i am grateful that i was protected from but still exposed to the truths and hardships of this life. and i am grateful that i was raised to be faithful unto death.

12) i am thankful for my true friends. as i get older, the more i learn that this life has some great pretenders who turn out to be false friends, but as i continue to encounter these people, the more i realize just how wonderful and amazing my true friends really are. i am so grateful for my best friends of this life and the girls who operate more as my sisters than as my friends. i am grateful for the honesty, love, and accountability that they provide.

13) i am thankful for my career. i cannot thank GOD enough for allowing me to find what i believe i was created to do. i could never have found a more perfect career than being a speech-language pathologist, and i thank GOD daily for giving me a job that never feels like work. i also thank GOD for giving me a career that allows me to be a christian and a servant every day and that has the amazing reward of giving another person the gift of communication.

14) i am thankful for my specific job. i cannot believe that GOD led me to such an ideal position of working in the school system and of working at my specific school. i could not love my principal, assistant principal, co-teachers, and special ed team any more than i do. i am so grateful for my speech mentor and for waking up every day excited to go to work, and i am so thankful for leaving work every day feeling that i am making a difference.

15) i am thankful for my home. GOD has blessed me so abundantly by providing me my apartment. i am so thankful for the roof over my head that provides me comfort and safety and for every piece of furniture and decoration that has allowed it to feel like me. i am so grateful for the opportunities for showing hospitality that it has given me and that GOD is allowing me to use my home for HIS glory.

16) i am thankful for my luxuries. i have always been a fan of the simple, little things that i usually take for granted. i am so thankful for my morning cup of coffee, and the world can be thankful for it, too. i am thankful for my queen size bed and that i can sleep in it peacefully and happily at night. i am thankful for movie nights, blankets, pajamas, cooking, and feeling comfy. i am thankful for things that smell and taste good. i am thankful for laughter that results in tears. i am thankful for dresses, high heels, boots, scarves, and the other luxuries that make me feel pretty. and i am thankful for music and writing that allow me to express myself when speaking fails.

17) i am thankful for my education. i am so grateful for my parents' efforts to send me to a christian university and for their hard work in helping me afford it. i am thankful for all of the memories, friendships, and accomplishments i gained during that time, and i am so grateful for finding my career. while i am very thankful for the degrees i received, i am more thankful for the knowledge and teaching that i gained.

18) i am thankful for my professors. my professors at college were not simply my teachers, they were my friends. i am so grateful for the personal relationships and impact that they so freely gave to me, and i am so thankful that they allowed me to be so involved in their families. they have changed me forever, and i thank GOD that they are still a part of my life.

19) i am thankful for my travels. i believe that the greatest education that i have received has been through traveling and experiencing the world. i am forever indebted to my family for allowing me to venture to 50 states, 25 countries, and 5 continents at this point in my life. i never imagined that at my age i would have gotten to experience the places which i have gotten to visit, but i have never been more thankful. i am grateful for the memories and moments and the new friendships that i have cultivated in each place, but i am most grateful for the flexibility and new perspectives on life that each place has offered me. i strongly believe that traveling has made me a better american, christian, and overall person, and i cannot wait to continue on my adventures. on to antarctica!

20) i am thankful for my life experiences. i am grateful for all of the adventures that this life has offered me so far that have made me who i am.

21) i am thankful for GOD'S providence. i have never felt more certain that i am where i am supposed to be and that i am doing what i am supposed to be doing. i believe that GOD led me exactly where i am right now, and i am so thankful for the plans that HE has for my life and that they are different and better than mine. HE continues to keep blowing this little planner's mind with HIS unbelievable providence and timing.

22) i am thankful for my current circumstances. i think the majority of people view the life of a single, twenty-five-year-old girl as lacking, but i happen to be extremely grateful for my present situation. i am so thankful for this time of learning that i would not be experiencing if my circumstances were different, and i am so grateful for every single moment that GOD is giving me to use to HIS glory. i firmly believe that GOD is allowing me to be more devoted to HIM at this time in my life (1 corinthians 7:34).

23) i am thankful for my daily bread. i am so grateful for the daily needs that GOD delivers every day, whether i acknowledge them or not, and for all of the worries for which i never have to worry.

24) i am thankful for the things GOD hasn't given me. it can be easy to disregard the good things that GOD has given and to only concentrate on the things that HE hasn't yet provided, but i am actually thankful for the things that GOD hasn't given me and the things that HE has spared me. when i see ways that my life could be or could have been and when i consider certain roads that my life almost journeyed, i am so grateful that GOD kept me from those routes and am perfectly at ease that i have not received those things because they weren't what i needed. i completely trust my JESUS'S timing and trust that my JESUS knows just what i need.

25) i am thankful for closed doors. along with feeling grateful for not being given certain things yet, i am also thankful for the doors that have been closed. for the definite "no" and not the confusing "maybe." for the u-turns, the wrong ways, and the dead ends. i believe that GOD allows doors to close so that we may see the passageway which we are supposed to take even more clearly, and i believe GOD allowing a door to close may open up windows that we never noticed or appreciated.

26) i am thankful for my failings, trials, and struggles. i am grateful for the things that cause me to feel uncomfortable so that i might continually change and grow. i am thankful that i am not perfect and that i don't have to pretend to be. i am grateful for the moments that make GOD'S grace even more real and precious to me. and i am thankful for a SAVIOR who became my sin so that i might become HIS righteousness (2 corinthians 5:21).

27) i am thankful for my sufferings. i am thankful when people are mean, when things don't go my way, and when things aren't always easy because i know that it's during those times that i am being perfected and refined (james 1:2-4). i am even more grateful during these times for the example of CHRIST who said nothing while suffering and allowed himself to become the ultimate shame and suffering.

28) i am thankful for my quirks. i am happy to be considered a character. i am grateful for my OCD and that i can visualize where every item in my apartment is in my mind. i am thankful for my nerdiness and the fact that my favorite subject is neurology. i am grateful to have a list of words that i cannot stand hearing and for the fact that the youth group boys love saying those words just for that reason. i am thankful that i have always loved to read, to perform, and to be silly. and i am most grateful that i have learned to laugh at myself so that others are no longer laughing at me but are laughing with me.

29) i am thankful for my past. i am thankful for every broken road and every failure that has made me a better person. i am grateful for the foundation of faith that my life has been rooted in and for the hope of heaven that i have been given. and i am thankful for every single thing whether good or bad that has allowed me to see and love JESUS more clearly and more really.

30) and i am thankful for my future. the story of my life remains very much unwritten, and i have no idea what all GOD has in store. but i have a feeling based on past experience that HE'S got quite a life waiting for me, both in this world and the next one.

1 comment:

  1. This was so refreshing and did my heart well. I am so sad we didn't get to see you all when you were here. Love you Debbie

    ReplyDelete